To me, leadership is defined by calm in the
face of pressure. A leader is somebody who can guide people through a difficult
task or event while ensuring that everybody remains in a normal state of mind.
The people I know who I think of as leaders exhibit a cool head when they are
looked to for answers. Thinking back, my greatest leadership experience came
during my senior year of high school. I was assigned to a freshman homeroom to
help guide the younger students. That was one of the first times that I
remember realizing that I was a role model in their eyes, and I had to do my
best to show them how to adjust to some of the difficulties of high school.
Even though I still felt like a kid who didn’t really have anything figured
out, I had to help them with problems that I had dealt with just a few years
previously. Everything from new classes and coming from a grade school where
they didn’t know anybody to talking to girls at mixers were brought up, and I
had to do my best to assure them that they would turn out fine. While I clearly
didn’t have the answers to all of their questions, this experience led me to be
more comfortable both in my skin and in leadership positions in general. While
before my senior year I tended to shy away from positions of leadership,
fearing that people would not see me as capable, I realized that a lot of the
time being a leader can be the same as being there for people. Since this
experience, I have stepped up into several leadership positions, including
captaincy for intramural teams that I never would have considered in the past.
Due to this formative experience, the definition of leadership for me has
become one more synonymous with empathy and a willingness to try rather than
purely strength.
Thanks for your reflective post, Avinash! Your definition of leadership seems to be influenced from chaos theory. There are many times in life when the unexpected happens. Some people react to the changes or try to prevent them while others excel in these environments. I encourage you to continue to practice leadership in your intramurals and to continue trying new things,
ReplyDelete