A time that my values conflicted with the values of an
organization to which I belonged was my time in high school. I was raised
Catholic by my family and decided to go to a Catholic high school, St. Xavier,
when I was in 8th grade. The decision wasn’t motivated by religion
on my part, but it may have been from my parent’s end. Around my junior year of
high school I discovered that organized religion, in particular Catholicism,
wasn’t for me. However, the religious nature of my high school had not changed.
I found myself at odds with the way many things were taught simply because they
didn’t appeal to me. After some time, however, I realized that this wasn’t the
way to continue my education. Therefore, instead of attempting to battle
religious education, I embraced the aspects that could still apply to my life.
For example, one of the most important parts of Jesuit philosophy is finding
God within all things. I realized that this did not have to just apply to God,
but could also signify finding value in any number of things. Finding value in
religious classes that I may not have agreed with the basic tenets of was very
valuable for me in terms of getting the most out of my education. My senior
year I took a religion elective called “Question of God”, which turned out to
be one of the best classes I took all throughout high school. The class was
taught by two staunchly Catholic men, but was very discussion based and
encouraged dissenting viewpoints. By the end of the class, I had thought more
about my spirituality in that one semester than I had in the previous three
years. For me, finding worth in the differences between myself and my high
school allowed me to resolve the conflict between our own values.
Thank you for sharing your comments. Understanding the root of some values can be an incredibly valuable process. For example, you can value "faith" or "religion" and interpret that to mean something entirely different than another person. Not only knowing what your values are but also what they mean to you on a personal level is incredibly important.
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing, Avinash. I appreciate your reflective post. Being a person who likes to find deeper value can translate very well into your paper. While knowing your values is very important, continuously questioning and defending them is just as important.
ReplyDelete